Skip to main content

Facing Life and Trusting our Father

Thought:

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

1 John 4:18

Heard a lot of bad news lately. A friend and a family member both were told that they have cancer. Neither know the scope of the disease or what treatment will look like. Right now they are facing the unknown with the large word DEATH floating around. This is a horrible place. It doesn't seem to matter where we are in our spiritual journey, it stills seems to bring up the basic, yet profound questions. Like: where is God in this matter? Does my life and my desire matter much to God? What happens when I die? Who does God heal and will I be among those that He touches that way? Does He see me and care?

I used to go there. But as a psychologist I have listened to too many painful stories. I've learned just how capable we are of hurting each other and how many times life disappoints us. I've also learned that I don't have any easy answers. If I believe that God is sovereign and completely determines all things, then I don't like him very much because I don't understand why He lets us suffer. If I believe that He is respecting our free will and is somewhat less involved out of that respect, then I feel He should step in because we are making a pretty big mess of things. I know that both ends of the spectrum are true: God is absolutely sovereign, yet He respects our free will. I don't know how to reconcile these two diametrically opposed ends, except to believe.

In crises, I now focus on my faith. Who is God to me? Who does He say He is to me? How can I grow to trust Him more? Perfect love casts out fear. I have watched a father toss his little girl up in the air while she enjoys every second of the attention. If her father was physically weak or terribly cruel, he could hurt her by letting her fall. Instead she knows him so well that this moment isn't scary, it's fun. Her love and trust of her father leaves no room for fear.

God urges us to know Him similarly. Instead I find myself with my teeth clenched and my fingernails bit short. What more do I need to know of my Heavenly Father that make me more like the little girl and her father? I know that life isn't quite the same as the game I just described. Most of our "tosses" are gut-wrenching and painful. But I need to focus on God and not on the air around me. I need to know that no matter what happens, God still has me. My eternal life is secure in him. I am loved, known, and valued by God. Even when it doesn't seem like it, He has got me in his arms.

Dear Father,

Teach me to trust you with my life and current circumstances. Show me where I lack faith and help me to grow there. I want to trust you like the little girl and her father. I know your love for me is so great and I long for it to diminish my fears and anxieties.

Comments

  1. Very good blog on Oct 11th. I often ponder the WHYS of when it seems that God intervenes on our behalf and WHY it feels like he doesn't. It is hard to trust when His will is so mysterious and falling to the ground hurts so much. Trusting is not impossible for me, but is often a challenge and a conscience decision I make over and over and over.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Narcissism: Understanding the Effects of Narcissistic Parenting

Since Freud, researchers have studied various environmental effects on maturing personalities, and it has been well documented that parenting styles are profoundly involved in the shaping of children’s developing psyches. It is hard enough working with a narcissistic boss or living with a narcissistic spouse, but being raised by narcissistic parents has several serious emotional consequences. What are some of these effects? Dr. Paul Meier in his book, You Might Be a Narcissist If . . . How to Identify Narcissism in Ourselves and Others and what We Can Do About It , identifies four consequences of narcissistic parenting. They are: 1) the  development of a false self; 2) the desire to behave with perfectionism; 3) chronic habits of passivity; and 4) increased vulnerability to addictive behaviors. The Development of a False Self Since narcissistic parents unconsciously need others to help soothe their fragile sense of self, they naturally turn to any available relationships

Patsies, Pawns, Patrons, and Police: Understanding Sociopathic Relationship Roles

At least one time in our lives each of us will make the mistake of trusting someone who doesn’t deserve it.  Especially when we consider the statistics that one out of every twenty-five people in the world are individuals with APD (sociopaths). In the best-case scenario, this betrayal only inconvenienced us, but more often we will have been conned, cheated, or abused. How do we recognize and avoid relationships with sociopaths? To protect ourselves, it is important to understand sociopaths’ motivation for developing relationships. Their reasons are not the same as ours! Lacking a conscience, they are unable to form emotional attachments and are disinterested in developing a bond with others.  Instead, they are thrill seekers, and use relationships to achieve this goal. In pursuit of their next big emotional charge, sociopaths tend to cast others into three main roles: “pawns, patrons, or police.” “Pawns” are individuals with little or no social or political power who

Antisocial Personality Disorder Resource List

This is the final article in the series looking at Antisocial Personality Disorder. I plan to start a new series discussing various aspects of Depression in January 2013. Hope everyone has a wonderful, happy holiday season! Resource List Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths go to Work by Paul Babiak, PhD & Robert D. Hare, PhD (2006) HarperCollins Publishers Not all individuals with Antisocial Personality Disorder (APD) are in prison, many are among us. They work and play alongside us. Babiak and Hare reveal the common ploys of psychopaths, especially in the corporate world. The authors provide detailed suggestions about how to screen for psychopaths in the interview process as well as how to protect the work environment from those whose main goals are to manipulate and exploit the workplace. This is an outstanding book for those in the business world who would like to become more aware of the subtle warning signs of psychopaths.   The Sociopath Next D