Skip to main content

Interpersonal Boundaries What are They?


Thought:

. . While his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it.

When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you?
"Why were you searching for me?" he asked. "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?"

Luke 2:43, 48-49

Lately I have been thinking about interpersonal boundaries. In counseling it comes up frequently as an issue. How much control do we have over the daily decisions of our lives? Who makes the decisions and why? Who suffers the consequences? How much do I share of myself and my opinions with those around me? How comfortable am I with conflict and how do I go about dealing with unresolved disagreements between myself and others? All of these questions have to do with interpersonal boundaries. I thought I would spend a few weeks focusing on these types of questions from a psychological and biblical perspective.

Why biblical? I think Jesus is the best example of how to maintain appropriate boundaries. He grew up in a large family and later lived and worked with twelve quirky guys. He frequently dealt with demanding people. People either loved or hated him. Wherever he went he drew crowds. Jesus had experience with maintaining healthy interpersonal boundaries.

Let's first define interpersonal boundaries. It is really a fancy way of defining where I begin and you end. The most obvious interpersonal boundary is our skin. I physically begin where I have skin. My external body defines my physical space. But I also have a psychological boundary. Just as my skin shapes and defines my physical space, my psychological boundary shapes and defines my interior world or my "Self" (who I am and who I am not).

Most of us don't spend much time observing and knowing our psychological "Self," whereas, it is a national preoccupation to spend energy on our physical selves. Just watch how many television commercials during primetime hours are about clothing, dieting, teeth, and hair. Despite this obsession with exterior attractiveness, many of us don't really know ourselves. How much sleep do you actually need? What is your favorite color? What foods do you really like to eat? What emotionally rejuvenates you? Too many of us don't know the answers to these simple questions. Yet these answers help to make up what defines and shapes us.

Jesus at the age of 12 already knew himself perfectly. He didn't stay behind in Jerusalem out of disobedience, it was goal-directed behavior. He knew his purpose and wasn't afraid to pursue it, despite the possibility of upsetting his parents. He let his purpose direct and define him. I find Jesus' question to his parents interesting. "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" Both parents knew that Jesus was God's son and that he came for a special purpose, yet they forgot and were surprised by his behavior. Jesus didn't let this parental oversight change his direction. He wasn't intimidated or emotionally manipulated by others. Jesus' interpersonal boundaries were well formed.

How can you and I improve our interpersonal boundaries? Begin to pay attention. What bores you? Fatigues you? Excites you? What do you like and dislike? Why? When? What do you spend most of your time thinking about? Why? If you became as invested and interested in your interior self as you are with your physical self, you will begin to know yourself. Why is knowing your "Self" important? Why spend all this effort and time? You can only begin to have better boundaries when you know what and who you are protecting. Just as our skin acts as a barrier, we need psychological barriers too. But you can't resist or invite something through your interpersonal boundary unless you know what belongs to you or is a part of you. If you want healthier boundaries, then this is the place to start. Have fun with it!

Comments

  1. Thanks Kerry, I sure enjoyed your post. Sometimes I wish I could see my emotions more clearly, like they had some skin on them :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Narcissism: Understanding the Effects of Narcissistic Parenting

Since Freud, researchers have studied various environmental effects on maturing personalities, and it has been well documented that parenting styles are profoundly involved in the shaping of children’s developing psyches. It is hard enough working with a narcissistic boss or living with a narcissistic spouse, but being raised by narcissistic parents has several serious emotional consequences. What are some of these effects? Dr. Paul Meier in his book, You Might Be a Narcissist If . . . How to Identify Narcissism in Ourselves and Others and what We Can Do About It , identifies four consequences of narcissistic parenting. They are: 1) the  development of a false self; 2) the desire to behave with perfectionism; 3) chronic habits of passivity; and 4) increased vulnerability to addictive behaviors. The Development of a False Self Since narcissistic parents unconsciously need others to help soothe their fragile sense of self, they naturally turn to any available relationships

Patsies, Pawns, Patrons, and Police: Understanding Sociopathic Relationship Roles

At least one time in our lives each of us will make the mistake of trusting someone who doesn’t deserve it.  Especially when we consider the statistics that one out of every twenty-five people in the world are individuals with APD (sociopaths). In the best-case scenario, this betrayal only inconvenienced us, but more often we will have been conned, cheated, or abused. How do we recognize and avoid relationships with sociopaths? To protect ourselves, it is important to understand sociopaths’ motivation for developing relationships. Their reasons are not the same as ours! Lacking a conscience, they are unable to form emotional attachments and are disinterested in developing a bond with others.  Instead, they are thrill seekers, and use relationships to achieve this goal. In pursuit of their next big emotional charge, sociopaths tend to cast others into three main roles: “pawns, patrons, or police.” “Pawns” are individuals with little or no social or political power who

Antisocial Personality Disorder Resource List

This is the final article in the series looking at Antisocial Personality Disorder. I plan to start a new series discussing various aspects of Depression in January 2013. Hope everyone has a wonderful, happy holiday season! Resource List Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths go to Work by Paul Babiak, PhD & Robert D. Hare, PhD (2006) HarperCollins Publishers Not all individuals with Antisocial Personality Disorder (APD) are in prison, many are among us. They work and play alongside us. Babiak and Hare reveal the common ploys of psychopaths, especially in the corporate world. The authors provide detailed suggestions about how to screen for psychopaths in the interview process as well as how to protect the work environment from those whose main goals are to manipulate and exploit the workplace. This is an outstanding book for those in the business world who would like to become more aware of the subtle warning signs of psychopaths.   The Sociopath Next D