Skip to main content

Narcissism Questionnaire: You Might be a Narcissist If . . .


Since the development of narcissism is due to childhood stresses, and no one has a perfect childhood, all of us have varying degrees of this dysfunction. Although a brief list of narcissistic traits and characteristics was provided in the last article, it still might be hard to determine if we display these characteristics on a day-to-day basis. I think Dr. Paul Meier’s  wonderful questionnaire in his book, You Might Be a Narcissist If,  might be able to help us identify the daily presentation of narcissism.  The questionnaire does not having a scoring system, however we can evaluate how frequently we unconsciously and/or accidently behave in the manner described in each question.


Narcissism Questionnaire

1.  Do I have a humble heart? Do I realize I’m not perfect and have both strengths as well as weaknesses---and don’t feel overly threatened to acknowledge either of them?

2.  Do I have empathy for others? Can I put myself in their shoes and imagine how my behavior has impacted them? For example, do I slow down my driving when passengers say they are frightened?

3.  Can I admit when I’m wrong? Can I apologize with a caring heart, and do I seek to make things right to help repair the rift in the relationship?

4.  Do I think I deserve special favors and preferential treatment and should be treated as having special status? For example, do I ask for things that aren’t on the restaurant menu or talk to the server in a haughty tone of voice that makes him feel inferior to me?

5.  Do I tend to think in terms that categorize people in my head as superior or inferior to myself, rather than believe we are all equal?

6.  Do I tend to talk about others behind their backs in a tone of voice or in a manner that puts them down or makes them seem inferior?

7.  Am I able to share my strengths and weaknesses with others, or do I tend to brag about my accomplishments, but hide my weaknesses?

8.  Am I shocked or do I become angry when others have an opinion that is different from my own?

9.  Do I try to exert extensive control over my family members so they dress or act in certain ways so they don’t tarnish my image to others? For example, do I try to get my kids to pursue sports or careers that I want them to do rather than honor what they want?

10. Do I often feel envious of others or believe they are envious of me?

11. Do I take advantage of others or use others to achieve my own ends without enough regard for their feelings or needs?

12. Do I believe I am special or unique and can only be understood by others who are also are special or unique?

13. Do I expect others to automatically comply with my wishes, and do I become shocked and outraged when they don’t?

14. Do I feel an increase in my self-worth when I associate with others who possess beauty, wealth, high status, or power?

15. Do I tend to need excessive admiration from others, and do I seek this attention from others---even in subtle ways? For example, do I talk to strangers in a restaurant to get their attention?

16. Do I get energized by thoughts of myself possessing more intelligence, attractiveness, wealth, status, or power than others?

17. Do I take pride in being able to do things without the help of others, and do I believe that to need others or need help from others makes a person weak or pathetic?

18. Do I feel safest psychologically when I feel alone?

19. Do I feel threatened psychologically when I feel I am becoming attached to an emotionally dependent upon another person?

20. Do I verbally attack or withdraw from a person who has pointed out my failure, and do I devalue them (put them down) as a way to inflate my own self-worth?

21. When I experience failure (as all people do), do I either become grandiose in my head (wherein I increase my self-worth by believing I never fail), or do I experience strong feelings of self-loathing or self-contempt because of my failure or mistake (self-devaluation) and shame, humiliation, rage, inferiority, or emptiness?


What should we do if we see ourselves in too many of the narcissism questions? Or, what if we recognize these traits in a loved one? How do we get help? The next article will address how to help ourselves or our loved ones when dysfunctional narcissism is present.

I want to give a special “thank you” to Dr. Meier for giving permission to reprint the Narcissism Questionnaire from his book You Might Be a Narcissist If. . . How to Identify Narcissism in Ourselves and Others and What We Can Do About It. ( Paul Meier, PhD, Lisa Charlebois, L.C.S.W., Cynthia Munz, L.M.F. T., Langdon Street Press, 2009)

Pin It

Comments

  1. I love this site! I could find all the information I needed in a split second! It's rare that you stumble upon excellent sites like this! Now this website resides in my favorites! Great job guys.

    www.gofastek.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we have faith , we trust God and if we trust God we have everything in life.
    I am so glad to be given a chance to read your wonderful article. Im looking forward to read more of your works and posts. You did a good job! Try to visit my site too and enjoy.
    triciajoy.com

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Narcissism: Understanding the Effects of Narcissistic Parenting

Since Freud, researchers have studied various environmental effects on maturing personalities, and it has been well documented that parenting styles are profoundly involved in the shaping of children’s developing psyches. It is hard enough working with a narcissistic boss or living with a narcissistic spouse, but being raised by narcissistic parents has several serious emotional consequences. What are some of these effects? Dr. Paul Meier in his book, You Might Be a Narcissist If . . . How to Identify Narcissism in Ourselves and Others and what We Can Do About It , identifies four consequences of narcissistic parenting. They are: 1) the  development of a false self; 2) the desire to behave with perfectionism; 3) chronic habits of passivity; and 4) increased vulnerability to addictive behaviors. The Development of a False Self Since narcissistic parents unconsciously need others to help soothe their fragile sense of self, they naturally turn to any available relationships

Patsies, Pawns, Patrons, and Police: Understanding Sociopathic Relationship Roles

At least one time in our lives each of us will make the mistake of trusting someone who doesn’t deserve it.  Especially when we consider the statistics that one out of every twenty-five people in the world are individuals with APD (sociopaths). In the best-case scenario, this betrayal only inconvenienced us, but more often we will have been conned, cheated, or abused. How do we recognize and avoid relationships with sociopaths? To protect ourselves, it is important to understand sociopaths’ motivation for developing relationships. Their reasons are not the same as ours! Lacking a conscience, they are unable to form emotional attachments and are disinterested in developing a bond with others.  Instead, they are thrill seekers, and use relationships to achieve this goal. In pursuit of their next big emotional charge, sociopaths tend to cast others into three main roles: “pawns, patrons, or police.” “Pawns” are individuals with little or no social or political power who

Antisocial Personality Disorder Resource List

This is the final article in the series looking at Antisocial Personality Disorder. I plan to start a new series discussing various aspects of Depression in January 2013. Hope everyone has a wonderful, happy holiday season! Resource List Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths go to Work by Paul Babiak, PhD & Robert D. Hare, PhD (2006) HarperCollins Publishers Not all individuals with Antisocial Personality Disorder (APD) are in prison, many are among us. They work and play alongside us. Babiak and Hare reveal the common ploys of psychopaths, especially in the corporate world. The authors provide detailed suggestions about how to screen for psychopaths in the interview process as well as how to protect the work environment from those whose main goals are to manipulate and exploit the workplace. This is an outstanding book for those in the business world who would like to become more aware of the subtle warning signs of psychopaths.   The Sociopath Next D